Monday, February 18, 2013

What I thought of.....GI Joe #1!!!!!!

This week, IDW Publishing launches a brand-new GI Joe title! Written by Fred Van Lente with art by Steve Kurth, this is a VERY different take on the GI Joe franchise, and I gotta tell you, it's pretty damn awesome!! Let's get to it!
THE GOOD: Um, just about EVERYTHING!! In the first page, we're introduced to the Joe's new commanding officer, someone that both us and the GI Joe team know pretty well, and the man that holds a soft spot in everyone's heart. One of the things that I loved about this book is that it's just 6 members of the GI Joe team responding to a Cobra threat, not 15 or 20 of them. And they're all classic Joes that we now and love. Another thing that impressed me is the changes that Van Lente made to the book. This is NOT the 1980/s GI Joe. Not by a long shot. It's really TODAYS GI Joe, and in that, Van Lente gives me something that I never knew I wanted, a GI Joe operating and living in the present. Yes, the previous series did take place in the present as well, but this is the team taking advantage of today's technology and resources. And Van Lente has taken away one of GI Joes weaknesses-their "secret identities". Everything is out in the open and we get to see how the general public responds and interacts with them. Another thing that Van Lente drops into the book is actual PATRIOTISM! That's right! No one is ashamed to be an American, which is really unique given today's political climate. Well played!!!
-This is also, a HUGE love letter to the GI Joe franchise. There's tons of in-jokes and references to a lot of other incarnations of GI Joe. Mr. Van Lente totally did his homework before writing this issue. On the art side, artist Steve Kurth is barely recognizable from his days drawing Devil's Due's GI Joe title. His talent has grown by leaps and bounds. He's got a great style for this book, he's hyper detailed, but it never looks messy or gets in the way of his storytelling. It's just great and totally fits the book.
THE BAD: Oh man, this is tough. I'm trying to really be objective, but I love this book so much. I guess my one complaint is that they didn't use my favorite Joes for this issue, hopefully Barbecue & Trip Wire will turn up pretty soon.
THE VERDICT: Are you kidding me? BUY THIS COMIC RIGHT NOW!!!! It's a real breathe of fresh air in the GI Joe universe. It's got literally everything you want in a GI Joe comic and more. MUCH MUCH more. I'm looking very forward to this brand new era of America's daring, highly trained special missions force.

No comments:

Post a Comment