Saturday, January 17, 2015

That's no moon...it's a comic book!

Star Wars #1: Guess what? You get the Star Wars comic that you always wanted. Luke, Han, Leia, Chewie, C-3PO & R2-D2 against Darth Vader and the Empire. That's IT. No 1,000 years before the Battle of Yavin, no Clone Army, no Separatists, no 200 years in the future. This. Is. Star. Wars.
The Good: Almost everything. First off, the story. Jason Aaron puts together a fantastic first issue to get the ball rolling. This issue isn't a wasted origin story because, let's face it, you really don't need one. The best compliment that I could give this book is that it FELT like Star Wars. All the characters are acting like themselves: Han's a cocky, arrogant con-man, Luke's an innocent young man, Leia is...well, Leia, ect. One of the things that impressed me the most about this book was the lack of movie dialogue. Many times in licensed comics, characters say the same famous lines from the movies over and over and over again, but that doesn't happen here. Aaron has the characters down pat, and it really shows. The art by John Cassaday is fantastic. I have to admit, when I saw his preview pages I was a little nervous. To me, he's really hit or miss with character likenesses, but here, thankfully, he's dead on.
The Bad: This comic does not feature ANY of the characters from the 1985 Droids cartoon, except for Artoo and Threepio, and that is a CRIME, because that was the greatest cartoon ever. OK, I'm pretty sure I'm the only one who shares that opinion, but I had to make up SOMETHING negative, right?
The Verdict: I don't care if you're reading this at home, on your phone while you're in a car, on your tablet while you're on the treadmill, STOP WHAT YOU'RE DOING AND GO BUY THIS COMIC BOOK. I honestly haven't enjoyed a comic this much in a loooooong time, and if this is just the beginning of what Marvel has in store for us with it's Star Wars line, then sign me up!!

No comments:

Post a Comment