Saturday, February 26, 2011

Knowing IS Half the Battle


So, late last night, it was announced that Jon Chu will direct next years GI Joe 2. On paper, I thought that this was a horrible idea. The man most recently directed....well, you know. I'm not going to actually type the words here, because I don't want to get swarmed by teenage girls and spambots. Before that he directed Step Up 2 & 3 and another dance movie. Pretty ballsy choice, Paramount. Not that a director cant' switch genres and be good, but still. C'mon. Dude. He's makes DANCE movies.
Then, Mr. Jon Chu opened his mouth(to MTV) .
“‘Joe’ is something I’ve loved since I was a kid,I still think there’s a movie out there that can be done for the real ‘Joe’ fans, the one we’ve been waiting for that hasn’t been done before.”
-OK, dude. You've got my attention. I'm one of the few people who liked-all right, LOVED-GI Joe:The Rise of Cobra. But I still can't help but feel there was some missed opportunities with that film. The one that stands out most in my mind-Zartan should've had a costume. At LEAST a hood. Then he talked more, this time to moviehole:
“I am trying to figure that out right now. I have a bunch of stuff written down. I have done a bunch of drawings and things. We’ll have to see where that goes. Joe, to me, is iconic. It is as American as Coke and the Boy Scouts. To have that kind of history in a brand is so rare these days. And that is so powerful. So you can’t treat Joe like its just another action movie. You can’t treat Joe as just another petty commercial movie. Joe has history. Joe has always been a part of what America is, and now the world. What it means to be a leader and a hero. For me, it is about the fun stuff like Storm Shadow and Snake Eyes, and all the gadgets. All of that stuff. But it has heart. Its heart is what America, and what heroes and leaders around the world, strive to be. I think that is what the brand needs. It needs the respect to be treated in that way.”
-And suddenly, I'm a huge Jon Chu fan. If this guy puts HALF as much enthusiasm into the movie as he has in that statement, it's going to be great. And the script by the writers of Zombieland(Rhett Reese and Paul Wernick) can't hurt either. There's rumor of recasting a couple of the main roles(Joseph Gordon-Levitt & Sienna Miller)and I think I'm OK with that. As long as the replacements are good. Bottom line, I just hope it's a good GI Joe movie. That's not too much to ask, is it? Oh, and also-Serpentor.

No comments:

Post a Comment