Saturday, February 5, 2011

Criticism in comics and in general....


After reading the Robot 6 column this morning, I was really glad that SOMEONE put down into words, what' I've been saying most of my adult life.

“Can I say something I’ve wanted to say for a long time? If you like something, tell your friends. If you love it, tell the world. But if you hate something, just throw it away, don’t buy it again and move on. We spend way too much time tearing shit down. I just want to try the other direction for a while.”

God Bless you, Steve Niles. People who know me, know that I am the eternal optimist. I love everything. Except cheese, I really hate that awful, awful food. But here's my point WHY bother "tearing shit down" SO MUCH? What good is it really doing? I'd MUCH rather tell everyone I know about an awesome comic/movie/tv show that I've experienced than tell someone how stupid they are for liking something that I think is "inferior". You know what you get when you do that? Resentment. I've seen FIRST HAND people come into a store, totally over the moon excited for a comic that was coming out today, only to have a co-worker tell them "Oh my God, I don't believe you still read this! All Marvel & DC put out is corporate shit that's all based on whatever movie or TV project that they have going on!". Really? 1)You just broke that person's heart and 2)You're an asshole.
-Let's get this straight. I'm not a fan of Vertigo comics. At all. When people would come up to me and ask me for a good Vertigo book, my standard answer was "Look, I'm really not the guy to answer that questions. I can tell you what's popular with the other customers, but I don't really read the line. If your interested, I can show you some things that I do recommend, though." and if someone came up with a book that I didn't care for I'd challenge them to convince me to read it and give it another chance. SOMETIMES(Astounding Wolf-Man) they were right.
-The bottom line is this. It's very easy to tear something down. Building something up takes MUCH more effort. I prefer to build things.....like giant robots made of cardboard. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment