Saturday, February 2, 2013

What I thought of....Fearless Defenders #1

This is a hard one to review. There's a lot of things that I liked, and a lot of things that I didn't like. So, I hope by the time I finish this review I'll be able to come to a conclusion on whether or not I can recommend it.
THE BAD: This whole book just kinda seems....unnecessary. I'll be honest, I haven't read much of Cullen Bunn's work before, but here the storytelling just seems a little weak. This Defenders team seems too thrown together, and, even by comic book standards very far-fetched on why these ladies would team up in the first place. There's a character twist that's thrown in that's meant to shock us, and it would shock us......if it was 1999.
THE GOOD: While I didn't really dig the story as a whole, I have to give credit where credit is due. Cullen Bunn sure knows how to write some AWESOME dialogue!!! I'd have to say, his characterization of Misty Knight is probably my favorite portrayal of her-EVER!!! Besides her, he does a great job writing the character of Valkyrie, keeping her true to her roots, and lets a great deal of humor come out of the character.
THE ART: Will Sliney saved this book for me. It's no secret, I've been a big fan of his for awhile. And him working on MacGyver didn't hurt, either. His art in this book is some of the best I've seen him do. Bunn does give him some great action scenes to draw and he provides a HUGE variety of things for Sliney to drawn. Everything from modern day tech to ancient skeleton viking warriors. And, it doesn't hurt that Sliney knows how to draw some pretty great looking ladies.
The Verdict: I'm gonna go with my gut on this one. I'm saying-BUY IT. While this first issue didn't blow me away, I have a feeling that it's going to get pretty entertaining in the issues to come. While the story was weak, the dialogue was strong and the art was fantastic.

No comments:

Post a Comment