Wednesday, August 24, 2011

WOWabunga!!!


This week IDW Publishing released Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #1. When I was younger, I loved the original series, and then I loved the Archie Comics series, but ever since then Turtle comics haven't really grabbed me. I think, honestly, there was too much sci-fi elements in later series. To me, the turtles should always be in the sewers of New York City, not flying around space with human dinosaurs.
-Back to the issue(literally)at hand. To put it bluntly, does anyone have Tom Waltz's address? I wanna buy that man a beer. When I first heard that IDW was bringing Kevin Eastman in to work on the book, I thought "hmm. Interesteing." OK, that's a total lie. The FIRST thing I thought about was "Kevin Eastman? Is he still married to Julie Strain? Man, she had awesome boobs." BACK to TMNT #1. THIS is what a Turtle comic SHOULD be. Everything is here that should be here. The Turtles, April, Casey, Baxter Stockman, pizza and Krang. YEAH. KRANG. This is a GREAT set-up for the series. Everyone is introduced in a manner that is not at all forced, and yet gives you plenty of back story, plot and set-up to get the series moving nicely. I have to be honest, I've never heard of Dan Duncan, but this guy was born to draw this book. He's got a great style that's gritty when it needs to be and smooth and clean when it's called for. IDW & the creative team have really outdone themselves. DO NOT wait for the trade on this one. Go buy it NOW!!!!....and Tom, seriously, you're gettin' that beer when I see you.


1 comment:

  1. That's hilarious! I always wonder if he's still married to Julie Strain! She was my biggest girlcrush all through the early 90s.

    ReplyDelete