Tuesday, February 17, 2015

My name is Jimmy Hayes. And I love to FIGHT!!!

Not actually me, but kinda close

-For the last couple of days, I've kind of been walking around in a haze. No pun intended. I went in for a visit with my Diabetic Educator, and was put on a THIRD, yes THIRD injectable insulin. That's about 3 more than I'd care to be on. Frustrated, with both the diabetic educator AND my primary care doctor in the room, I asked, what I thought was a simple question. 
"OK, don't bullshit me, I'm asking you straight out, IS this ever going to get any better?" The answer I got was one that I wasn't quite prepared for.
"No. Due to genetics and the fact that you've had the disease so long, it's never going to get any better, in fact it will probably get worse and you'll have to have higher doses of the medication that you're on, and probably additional medication as you get older."
-I caught the words in my throat (this IS my wife's boss, so I have to behave), but my initial response was "Go fuck yourself". The minute that you tell me I CAN'T do something, is the minute that I start doing whatever it is that you told me I can't do. To be honest, it's gotten me in a LOT of trouble in the past. Both personally and professionally, but I guess I'm the odd man out, because my brain automatically says "Why WOULDN'T you fight for something?" Is everyone but me content to just accept the way that things are. I did a lot of thinking, and thought specifically about a couple of dozen people that I know. I realized that ALL of them can do better at something in their lives. Now, the people I thought of ranged in age from their 20's to their 60's. And they were everything from almost homeless to highly paid professionals to business owners...I could go on and on, but I'm not going to. The point is, is that each and every one of us has something that we could improve on. Is there a better job that you want? FIGHT FOR IT! A girl or guy your interested in? FIGHT FOR IT! I don't understand why you wouldn't. I'm gonna fight like Hell to keep my numbers under control and to eat more of what I should and less of what I shouldn't. I won't win every time. Sometimes, it's gonna be REALLY hard to fight. But I'm going to. And I'm not going to stop until I get taken off this third insulin. So yeah, I love to fight. And I'm going to. And you should too. Don't accept things you don't like just because "that's the way it is". That's bullshit. Get off your ass and make things happen. 
-Thanks for allowing me to vent a little. Now, in return, next week I promise I'll give you something good. Something a lot of you have been asking for. Until then, no article or blog post or anything that focuses on the word "fight" can be written without including one of these...................


No comments:

Post a Comment