Wednesday, February 4, 2015

What I thought of...Superman #38!

Superman #38: The big battle between Ulysses is here! The ultimate fight to save Earth and stop Ulysses from killing millions of people to keep his own planet alive!!
The Good: Some REALLY good stuff this issue. Between the Clark Kent stuff and the superheroics, Geoff Johns does a fantastic job of making this Superman story fun, relevant, serious AND light-hearted. I have to admit, I was super (pun intended) behind on this series. In  fact, I read from issue 32 to issue 38 just today, all in one sitting. What impressed me most about the story was the message that I got from it. It's one that Superman should always have, and that is "there's always hope". John and Romita (and let me tell you, Romita, Jr. knocks it out of the park in this series!) make this story, not only a great super hero comic, it's also a lesson in WHY Superman is the ultimate role model for any of us. No matter how bad things are, or how bad things get, or how bad we THINK they are, if we know that there's hope for a better tomorrow, and get our asses moving and do the work, things WILL get better. Situations WILL turn out OK.
The Bad: If I have to name something, it's that the story seemed very familiar. And no, that's not a joke for those of you that have been reading the title. But, it seems like I've read a Superman story that's similar to this before. Sure, when a character is almost 77 years old, and has had multiple books published each month, you're bound to run across some similar stories, the thing that ticks me off is that I can't remember where or when I read it! Yes, I read WAY too many comics. Just kidding, there IS no such thing!
The Verdict: You REALLY should buy this issue. And, if you haven't been buying the title, grab the other issues. It's one of the best, most uplifting Superman stories I've read in a long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment