Thursday, February 26, 2015

What I thought of...Star Wars: Darth Vader #2

Star Wars: Darth Vader #2: To put it mildly, Darth Vader is NOT The Emperors favorite guy right now. He blames Vader for the destruction of the Death Star, he blames him for the Rebels getting away, and he's pretty much downgraded him to heading up a neighborhood watch program of Stormtroopers. It's not a good day to be a Sith Lord.
The Good: Just like last issue, this issue features LOTS of great stuff. There's some great scenes with Vader and his Emperor appointed "handler", a fun mention of the running sub-plot in the book, but the best thing about this issue is the feel of the book. This best way I can describe this is that it feels like a Star Wars comic unaffected by the Prequels (and, once you read the book, there's a HUGE problem with that statement, but I digress). It's gives the reader the feeling that you truly don't know what's going to come next (even though you know what the future holds for Vader), and you don't know anything that happened before the 1977 Star Wars movie (even though you do). And, I'd be making a HUGE mistake if I didn't mention how great Sal LaRroca's art is. As awesome as ever!!
The Bad: I don't know just what it was, but I found myself getting uncomfortable with the way Vader is treated in this book. In the films, he's the ultimate bad-ass, but here, he acts almost like a scolded dog. He tolerates a lot of crap this issue, and I mean a LOT. But, give the circumstances, he really doesn't have any choice.
The Verdict: OF COURSE you should buy this! Marvel has been knocking it out of the park with their Star Wars books. As of this writing, they're batting a thousand, and I don't see that changing anytime soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment