Friday, March 29, 2013

15 Days of GI Joe-Day 15!!!

OK, so this was supposed to be posted yesterday. Sorry about that, but the day got away from me. But, better late than never, here it is, MY GI Joe Retaliation movie review:
OK, to be fair, I KNEW I was going to like this movie. But, to my surprise, I didn't really think I'd like it as much as I did. First and foremost-this is a GI JOE movie!! And I mean that in every way, shape and form.  The characters, the vehicles, the settings, even the weapon that Cobra tries to destroy the world with. And, most importantly the story. It seems screenwriters Rhett Reese & Paul Wernick have borrowed from every GI Joe continuity that there was, and mixed all the best parts into one fantastic story.
-One thing that I was really happy about was the portrayal of Cobra Commander. In the first few minutes of the movie they took that mess that he was in GI Joe: Rise of Cobra and changed him into the Cobra Commander that we all know and love. Sure, I would've like his voice a little closer to the cartoon, but I'm not complaining. At. All.
-Another thing that made me happy was that they managed to not overuse Snake Eyes. I have seen/read MANY episodes, movies, and comics that quickly turned into Snake Eyes and his Amazing Friends, but Retaliation managed to give the audience just enough to make him awesome and yet not get us sick of him. And the same goes for Storm Shadow.
-My big complaint? The killing of 2 of the major villain. This has ALWAYS been a pet peeve of mine. I think it started back in 1989 when Tim Burton killed The Joker at the end of Batman. WHY do this? Even if they don't show up in GI Joe 3, you can STILL use them somewhere down the road. I will never understand that aspect in storytelling. Unless this was the final GI Joe film EVER(Which I doubt), I just can't see it.
-So, yes, I loved GI Joe Retaliation. On a side note, and in my opinion, this was the best Bruce Willis has been in quite awhile. He didn't seem to be sleepwalking through this like he did the latest Die Hard movie, and you could actually see some HUMOR in him, which I haven't seen in a long, long time.
-Lastly, I want to adress something that's not getting enough attention. A couple years ago when John M. Chu was announced as director, just about every Joe fan's(mine included)heart broke a little bit, because here was the Justin Beiber movie guy directing our beloved GI Joe movie. But, I was wrong. Everyone was wrong. What John. Chu gave us was hope for a future of the GI Joe film franchise. Actually, first and foremost he gave us a damn fine entertaining movie. So, thank you John Chu!! You are welcome in our "sandbox" any time!! Also, after watching this movie, I am SO excited for what his Masters of the Universe film will be like. The countdown for THAT begins now!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment